Skip to main navigation Skip sub navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer

Data Centre

 

Golden Wheat Symbol of the agricultural industry of the community
Green Tree Symbol of the natural growth within the City
Horse Brandon was once known as the horse capital of Canada
Shield Artistic and symbolic of a good defence against any aggressors
City of Brandon Large square letters indicative of a square deal to all
Motto “She acquires strength through progress”

 

Brandon was never a town or a village, but began its official existence as a City. In the spring of 1881, General Rosser, the railroad official in charge of designating town sites, selected the present site of the City of Brandon as a major divisional point. The first passenger train steamed into Brandon early in October of 1881. From the few scattered dwellings and 200 residents that had greeted the arrival of the “Iron Horse”, Brandon’s population mushroomed in less than a year to 5000+ and on May 30th, 1882, the provincial government enacted “The Brandon Charter” which incorporated Brandon as a city.

The name “Brandon” was derived from the Blue Hills of Brandon, a name, which was, received second hand from a Hudson’s Bay trading post known as Brandon House. The trading post, in turn, had been named after a hill on an island in James Bay where Capt. James had moored his ship in the winter of 1631. (Source: The Fort Brandon Story by Roy Brown – 1974)

Data Centre

Economic Development Brandon
City of Brandon
410-9th Street
Brandon, MB R7A 6A2
Email     Facebook