At the very heart of North America lies Brandon Manitoba, a city that has built its reputation on providing the atmosphere in which business can succeed. Brandon is rated as the best municipality for small business in Western Canada. The city’s overall business cost competitiveness has been ranked #1 by KPMG of over 30 North American Midwest Cities surveyed. Contributing to Brandon’s overall cost competitive environment is the fact that there is no municipal business tax. The economy’s diversification provides an extremely stable and positive environment for businesses to compete within the global economy. The Conference Board of Canada confirms Brandon’s diversified economy is expected to deliver solid economic growth in 2020 thanks to gains across most sectors.
- A Regional Hub: Brandon acts as the service centre for some 180,000 people, including the entire Southwest Economic Region which has a total population of 113,618 (2016 Census). The primary trading area includes roughly 60,000 people within a 30 km radius of the City of Brandon. Included within the trading area is Canadian Forces Base Shilo, located approximately 30 km from Brandon with a population of approximately 1,400. Located an hour's drive from the Bakken Oil field Brandon's businesses have rapidly adapting to service the drilled wells.
- Time is Precious: When you combine Brandon’s attractive business environment with a balanced lifestyle, profit and personal reward are the natural result. In today’s busy world, time is a precious commodity. Thanks to Brandon’s maximum in city commute time of 12 minutes, business owners spend little time in traffic which allows them the freedom to choose how they spend their time. Time to grow their business, time to spend with family and friends, time for recreation, time for education, the choice is theirs.
- Dependable & Educated Workforce: Brandon’s Labour Force is regional in nature and has proven to be an extremely stable, committed and well educated work force. The labour force is drawn from approximately 27 municipalities*, with 19% of the labour force living in rural communities outside the city’s boundaries. Brandon University, Assiniboine Community College and the Manitoba Emergency Services College provide a skilled work force to the city’s employers year after year. This well educated workforce is a key strength of Brandon with 57% of residents graduating from post-secondary education.
*Statistics Canada 2016
- Agriculture is Big Business: When considering all types and sizes of business, Brandon is home to approximately 2,000 businesses, of which roughly 350 directly serve the agricultural market place. Brandon’s ties to the agricultural sector are strengthened by the presence of an Agriculture Canada Research Station and the Agri-Environment Centre. These two organizations, along with other local research institutions bring integrated expertise and innovative solutions to the agriculture and Agri-food sector.
- A City on a Solid Footing: Brandon’s emerging reputation on the national and international stage as a city that can do it all was developed through a concerted community effort. Years of sound fiscal management, a growing population, and a shared vision for the city’s future have all played a contributing role. Standard & Poor’s affirmed its issuer credit and senior unsecured debt ratings on the City of Brandon as AA-. The rating reflects the city's robust economic performance, good operating performance, adequate liquidity and a moderate debt burden. This stable outlook reflects Standard and Poor’s expectation that the city's economic performance will remain healthy.
- In Brandon, You Truly Can Have It All: At the end of the day, one of Brandon’s greatest assets is the balance between profit and personal reward. Though Brandon presents all the diversity and convenience of a much larger centre, the city has remained a close knit community that takes a great deal of pride in its self. A low crime rate, affordable housing, educational excellence and abundant recreation and cultural opportunities create a healthy environment to attract and retain employees. We invite you to take a closer look at Brandon, and you too will soon discover that the balance between business success and a fulfilling personal life is truly achievable